Ghost Mannequin is the process of using a mannequin to create ghost-like images. Ghost mannequins are often used in fashion e-commerce photography, but you can use them for other purposes as well. This article will cover everything you need to know about Ghost Mannequin Photography, including the history behind it and its different types.
What is the Ghost Mannequin Effect?
An effective post-production method for apparel photography is the ghost mannequin effect. By combining images of the inside and outside of your garment and erasing all traces of the model or mannequin, you can create a photo that accurately portrays how your product will fit in three dimensions.
Flat-lay fashion photography can turn away customers because it doesn’t adequately describe the dimensions of your products. By enabling your customers to visualize themselves wearing the clothing and increase their purchase confidence, 3D silhouettes can speed up your sales.
Ghost mannequin images can be challenging to copy, especially for beginner editors. However, it might be easier than you imagine, and at the moment, there are excellent tools available to help you spruce up your product photos without going bankrupt.
Photo Studio Equipment
- Model or Mannequin
If you decide to use a model, their hair must be tied back and they must have a simple pose. This will make future editing easier. Make sure the model maintains a steady, centered posture.
Working with white or transparent mannequins is always recommended for Ghost Mannequin Photography because they blend in well with the background. In some instances, dress forms are more effective at emphasizing the design and shape of the clothing. Consider using matte white mannequins, which are less reflective and assist in editing.
Use high-end Canon or Nikon cameras for consistent, professional results.
- Studio lighting
Use a high-quality lighting system and strobe lighting to produce the ideal exposure, shadows, and contrast from all perspectives.
- Clothes to photograph
Generally, most brands and retailers utilize the Ghost Mannequin Photography effect on staple fashion items. These cover blazers, dresses, shirts, suits, coats, and ties, and similar widely-sold garments and clothes.
- Styling tools and accessories
Finally, without tools and accessories like styling clips and pins, no setup is complete. Additionally useful items include tissue paper for giving clothing more body and double-sided tape for attaching clothing to mannequins.
Create a 3D Effect
Follow these steps to create a 3D effect:
- Take pictures of the outfit on the model or mannequin first from the front and back.
- Next, turn each item of clothing. Style, hang, and take new photos of the front and back of each article of clothing on a foam board.
- When the images are combined, these board shots show what the garment looks like inside.
- Make sure the collar is open and the inner lining is clearly visible on collared shirts and dresses.
What to avoid?
For Product Shots
- Hands or props covering the camera’s view of the product
- Uneven or asymmetrical poses
- Overlapping fabrics
For Inlay Shots
- Uneven, non-uniform neckline (for top clothing)
- Cropped or uneven waistline (for bottom clothing)
- Cropped margins in the pictures
Good Practices for Ghost Mannequin Product Photography
Ghost Mannequin Photography may appear difficult from the outside, but with this guide in hand, it need not be as difficult as it seems. You can immediately begin making your own ghost mannequin images and enhancing your online presence if you have the necessary tools and equipment in your possession. Here is a quick checklist of things you can do to make your ghost mannequin photos stand out before you leave.
- Use a grey or white background.
- Make sure all clothing is wrinkle and crease-free.
- Style your outfits elegantly. Fix collars, tuck in buttons, and let laces hang naturally.
- On the mannequin or model, place the garment symmetrically.
- When taking the inlay images, keep the product taut and straight.
- Make sure nothing blocks any part of the attire.
- Make quick work of combining and polishing your product images using editing software.
Cliik Studios are an award-winning team of professional Ghost Mannequin Photographers who provide high-quality Clothing Photography and Ghost Mannequin Photography for your e-commerce business. Visit today!