Instagram has changed its algorithm and added versatile content creation tools over the past few years. It started as a photo-sharing app and gradually transitioned into supporting content creators with a major focus on videos. Aligning the focus on providing a video sharing platform, Instagram launched IGTV. However, due to limited use of the IGTV tool by creators, Instagram rebranded its IGTV as an Instagram video and gave a push to its video strategy.
The social media platform has taken a step in the right direction by ditching its exclusive IGTV video format and rebranding it for its integration into the Instagram Feed.
The latest algorithm of Instagram supports video content more as compared to the image. The IGTV rebranding is a powerful tool for creators and businesses to up the game in the video marketing strategy.
Rebranding IGTV for Ease of Video Content Creation
Instagram launched IGTV in June 2018 as an outlet to create and post longer video content. However, the long format IGTV exclusive video did not pan out well. However, the inclination for short-form content pushes Instagram to introduce short video format Reels in August 2020. However, to level up the video marketing strategy, it rebranded IGTV and merged it with the Instagram Video tool allowing long-form videos in the feed.
Previously, the Instagram Video feature allowed in-feed video length limited to 60 seconds. However, the rebranding and merging of all videos currently run up to 60 minutes. The change is a great boost for the brands and an ultimate strategy by Instagram to boost long-form video content.
Successful Video Marketing Strategy by Instagram
Instagram is one of the most appealing platforms for brands, content creators, and businesses to share and grow. It is no longer a generic platform to share static images but has successfully built many brands through Instagram marketing. The current Instagram marketing statistics point to the reception of the new video feature positively by brands and businesses. The videos on Instagram receive almost 49% higher engagement as compared to the photos.
The IGTV rebranding into Instagram video and its support for long-form videos of up to 60 minutes has become a success so far.
Branding and promotion for businesses
Businesses have adopted short-form video formats like Reels for creating entertaining and engaging content. However, Instagram video has provided the brands with a platform to create long videos and post them on the feed. This gives a brand a creative outlet to market the services and products through various types of content. The Reels get higher engagement and views backed by the support of the latest Instagram algorithm.
Supportive video formats by Instagram
The video formats by Instagram have supported and attracted creators and businesses from across the globe. The higher and increasing number of followers has kept the video formats afloat on Instagram. The in-built tools on Instagram support formatting and in-app editing.
The rebranded Instagram video feed is flexible for all forms of content. It is suitable for short-form videos of 10 to 15 seconds, bite-sized tutorials, and advertisements for long videos. Here are some of the video formats that form a part of the Instagram video strategy:
- Stories are 15-second vertical video formats that create a sense of urgency. The Instagram stories remain only for 24 hours and are perfect for shooting behind the scene, on-the-go videos and snippets to keep the audience engaged. It gives flexibility to the brands and businesses to put raw content without necessitating full-fledged editing.
- Reels are a massive hit and highly adopted video format by creators and brands. The Instagram algorithm supports short-form content and creates higher engagement on the posts. This, in turn, gives visibility to the brands or creators.
- Instagram Live is a great feature to connect with the audience and followers. It provides a platform to invite other people for a discussion or interview. It is a powerful video tool for a Q & A session and addresses the audience live.
Creativity and flexibility with in-built tools
The Instagram platform has its in-built editing tools that give creators or brands a chance to edit before posting. Tons of filters are available for creators to experiment with. The editing tools help with several options like saturation, adjusting the brightness, vignette, contrast etc. It is now easy to crop and trim the videos with the in-built video editing tools.
Types of Video Content to Upload on Instagram
As a brand or creator, it is important to experiment with the video formats and use what best works for you. Here are a few ideas of the type of video content one can put on Instagram.
- Upload a how-to or tutorial video to grab the attention of the audience. Use the short-form video format or Reels to educate the audience creatively. Alternatively, level up the game by using the Instagram Live feature to show how a service or product is used.
- Use product reels to show a product from all angles and make it appealing. For example, apparel brands use Instagram reels to show how a garment looks when worn. Another example is the promotion of various products or brands by Instagram influencers through Reels.
- Use Instagram stories to give a sneak peek into the upcoming launch or a subtle hint of what’s new.
- Address the concerns and questions of the audience by coming on Instagram Live. The one on one talk helps in building trust.
- Create ads or a video story to promote a brand or business through the Instagram video.
- One of the best ways to use the long-form video format is to create a series of video episodes and schedule timely posting.
Rebranding the IGTV is one of the best decisions that has worked in favour of Instagram marketing statistics. Video marketing has become wildly popular due to its ability to create better engagement through visual content. With a plethora of video formats supported by Instagram, the sky’s the limit when using videos as a creative outlet for branding and promotion of a business.